Mint is safe and non toxic for dogs in the leaf form. Still not recommended to hand a lot out to your pup, even though we all want to for that breath, right?! A small handful of mint leaves on their food would be alright once in a while, but there are a few things to keep in mind with mint.
Benefits From Dogs Eating Mint
There are a few benefits to your dog eating mint, those would be; better breath, some digestional aid, fiber, calcium, Vitamins A and C which help with bones, skin, vision, and immune health.
Lots of dog food, treats and bones have mint in them to help dog breath and clean teeth already. If you do not have any mint foods, just giving your dog some wild mint, peppermint and spearmint leaves is perfectly okay in moderation. (1 – 2 leaves a day)
No surprise there, we all use mint to freshen our breath, so giving your dog a couple mint leaves a day would make sense and certainly help with that stanky doggy breath! Plus help keep bones and immune health strong!
Whether your dog is young or old, some mint in their diet can surely help the aging process at any stage of puppy life.
Risks To Dogs From Eating Mint
Too much mint can disrupt your dog’s digestive system resulting in some gastrointestinal discomfort. There is only one type of mint that is toxic for dogs, it’s english pennyroyal. It grows in most areas around the U.S besides the coldest sections.
English Pennyroyal contains a chemical called pulegone. Pulegone is toxic for not only dogs, but humans as well. It is obviously not such a big deal for us humans unless we consume a large amount, but our dogs could quickly come down with diarrhea, vomiting and weakness. Call the vet promptly if you suspect your pooch ate english pennyroyal mint.
Also, it is not a good idea to feed you dog any mint products intended for humans. This would include but not limited to; breath mints, chewing gum, tic tacs, or any other product like that. The reason for this is the potential for unsafe additives and alternative sugars such as xylitol.
Any kind of artificial flavorings and alternative sugars are bad for dogs, especially xylitol. Even a small amount of xylitol can be very dangerous, and could send your dog to the vet in a hurry.
Feeding Your Dog Mint
If you choose to add some mint leaves to your dogs diet, the best way would be to cut up a couple leaves and put it with his food. Or if he likes it, just give it to him as a treat. A moderate daily helping of mint leaves (not english pennyroyal) can help with breath and aid with digestion.
Just remember to not give your dog more than a couple leaves a day, and if he already has minty food, treats or bones, it’s not necessary to add mint leaves to his diet.
If your dog gets into your mints or gum and consumes a large amount, quickly read the ingredients and call your vet as there could be some xylitol or other dangerous ingredients in those products.
Just like all human foods, mint is not necessary in the diet of a dog, however, a little fresher breath and some digestive system aid is always nice. Remember to moderate your dog’s daily allowance and keep him away from your personal breath fresheners and english pennyroyal tea.
Hi, I am Andrew. I am the editor at FamilyWithPets. I am enjoy learning and sharing information about pets that helps enrich the lives of pets and pet parents.